Copyright FOURIN, Inc. 2023
Daihatsu Motor’s Recent Production and Sales Results in ASEAN
In 2017, Daihatsu Motor and its parent company Toyota Motor established the Emerging Markets Compact Car Company. Along with the establishment of the company, they have set up a system so that Toyota concentrates on the sales of mid- and large-sized vehicles, while Daihatsu concentrates on compact vehicles in emerging countries. Daihatsu intends to develop compact cars that are widely accepted not only in the major markets of Malaysia and Indonesia, but also in emerging markets. The company is expanding its model lineup based on its global platform DNGA. In March and April 2021, the first DNGA-based Ativa and its sister model Rocky were launched in Malaysia and Indonesia, respectively. Following that, in November 2021, first DNGA-based B-segment MPV, the Xenia, launched in Indonesia, and in July 2022, the DNGA-based Alza, a B-segment MPV, was released in Malaysia. Both models have been completely redesigned for the first time after more than 10 years. It appears that Daihatsu is converting not only new models but also current models to DNGA as part of its product development strategy.
Daihatsu Motor: Recent Production and Sales Trends in ASEAN
Full Model Change of the Alza
・In July 2022, Perodua, Daihatsu’s Malaysian joint venture, released the Alza, a B-segment MPV that was completely redesigned for the first time in 13 years.
- The model is 4,425 mm long, 1,730 mm wide and 1,660-1,670 mm tall.
- The powertrain combines a 1.5 L naturally-aspirated engine with a CVT. The seating capacity is seven.
- It has a price tag of 62,500-75,500 MYR.
Unveiling of a BEV Concept Model
・At the GAIKINDO Indonesia International Auto Show in August 2022, Daihatsu unveiled the BEV edition of the Ayla. It was independently developed by Daihatsu’s local subsidiary Astra Daihatsu Motor (ADM).
- The model is front-wheel drive. The battery capacity, price and launch date were not revealed.
- ADM plans to develop vehicles suitable for Indonesia with support from its parent company Daihatsu. Targeting a local procurement rate of 80-90%, ADM will develop vehicles that meet the Indonesian government's eco-car policy “Low Cost Green Car.”
- The Rocky's HEV version was also unveiled at the same venue for the first time at an overseas event.
・The Indonesian government plans to impose a carbon tax on CO2 emissions from factories and automobiles. It was scheduled to be introduced in April 2022 but was postponed to July of the same year. However, it was postponed again until a later date.
Full Model Change of the Xenia
・In November 2021, ADM released the Xenia, a B-segment compact car, after a complete redesign for the first time in 10 years. It is the first B segment model based on the DNGA platform.
- The model is 4,395 mm long, 1,730 mm wide and 1,700 mm tall.
- The powertrain combines a 1.3 L or 1.5 L naturally-aspirated engine with a CVT or a five-speed MT.
- It has a price tag of 190.9 million-242.7 million IDR.
(Created by FOURIN using PR materials of Daihatsu Motor and Perodua, and various media sources)