Copyright FOURIN, Inc. 2023
Acura’s Global Sales Results in 2021, Sharp Decline in China
Honda Motor is reviewing the regional and product strategies of the luxury car brand Acura. Acura's worldwide sales in 2021 increased 10.6% year-on-year to 182,948 units. While sales increased nearly 15% in the US and Canada, Acura’s sales in China saw an over 45% decline in 2021. Sales in North America have been around 170,000 units for the past six years. On the other hand, sales in China peaked with 15,402 units in 2019 but sharply fell in the following two years. For this reason, in April 2022, GAC Honda, which handles the Acura brand in China, announced that it will not produce or sell Acura models after 2023.
Acura: Recent Business Developments in the US and China
Launching the Integra
・In March 2022, Acura started accepting reservations for the Integra.
- Five-door premium sports compact car. Positioned as an entry-performance model of the Acura brand.
- Features Acura's new frameless diamond Pentagon grille.
- The powertrain combines a 1.5L turbocharged 4-cylinder VTEC gasoline engine with a six-speed MT or CVT.
- Has a price tag of approx. 30,000 USD.
- Manufactured in Marysville, Ohio.
Opening digital showroom
・In March 2022, Acura was the first automaker to open a digital showroom in the metaverse.
- The showroom name in the metaverse is Acura of Decentraland.
- In March 2022, the limited edition Integra NFT (non-fungible token) was introduced. The first 500 people who book Integra can use the NFT in the metaverse.
・In April 2022, GAC Honda announced that it will not produce or sell the Acura brand after 2023.
- According to media sources, the importation of the Acura brand to China was terminated in 2021.
(Created using company PR materials and various media sources)